What many know as the 189 acre campus that Linfield is currently, was once 6 acres of land and known as the Baptist College at McMinnville in 1858. Over many years 1 building has turned into 79 and the uses for each continue to change throughout the years.
160 years ago Linfield sat on a bare piece of land but has since grown and changed drastically. Because of numerous donations made by faculty and alumni many buildings have not only been added, but also moved so that new additions could be made.
Built in 1882, Pioneer (often called Pio) is the oldest building on campus. The land for this bulding was donated by W.T. Newby and a group of several others. At one point it housed the entire college. As Linfield has grown, Pioneer is now used for an all-female residence hall, offices and classrooms.
Deed to McMinnville College,1892
Pioneer, circa 1880-1910
Pioneer, circa 1980-1989
Many current students are unaware of this building ever being a part of the campus. Built shortly before Melrose, it was used as the music building. In 1965 it was deliberately burned down as practice for fire departments statewide.
Colonial, circa 1890-1920
Pio and Colonial, circa 1900-1920
Melrose was built in 1929 and has served as the administrative building for the college ever since. Inside, Ice Auditorium is used for major lectures, concerts, community events and ceremonies. Within the last few years the bottom floor of the building was renovated to create a "student hub" that provides easy navigation for important offices.
Northup Library/T.J. Day Hall
The local McMinnville community made this building possible by donating 65,000 dollars to have it built in 1936. Northup served as the college library until 2003. After renovation in 2011, the building was renamed T.J. Day and now houses Business, English, Economics, Philosophy and several offices.
Northup, early 80s
Northup, early 80s
T.J., 2011, Derek Severson Flickr
Nicholson Library, 2010
Nicholson Library, 2017
The Linfield Sign has sat outside the Oak Grove since the founding of the school. The sign has only been changed less than 4 times. It's a hotspot for student and alumni photos.
Linfield Sign, 1946
Linfield Sign, 2000
What was once located in the same spot as Melrose and called the "gridiron," is now known as Maxwell Field. Since 1928 track and football athletes have called this field home. Funded with over 1 million dollars in 2004, it went through a major revamp.
Maxwell Field, 1945
Maxwell Field, 2018
Maxwell Field, 2016